a India Rant and Raves: Pinglish

India Rant and Raves

Globetrekker's life in India starting Oct 06 ... a first hand account ...

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Pinglish

Of course we are very familiar with the term Singlish in Singapore, where the "la"s and the "lor"s come into play in our daily conversation and also our horrible sentence structure like "you got go to market ?" instead of "did you go to the market?". Well, surprise surprise, here in Punjab, there is also the Punjabi slang of English affectionately called Pinglish - Punjabi English. Ok, I won't be able to share with you the most advanced Pinglish we have here 'cos I'm not an expert at Punjabi yet, but here's an idea.

The use of the word "only" seems to intrigue me these days. Eg. in a restaurant setting, you and your friend are sitting and waiting for another friend to come along. Typically your friend would say "I'm just waiting for my friend to come", here they say "I'm waiting for my friend to come only". Well nothing wrong grammatically but it just sounds funny. And it happens everytime. Instead of saying "I'm just going to the toilet" which implies that your visit to the toilet will be quick, here we say "I'm going to the toilet only" which is like more saying "trust me, I'm really going to the toilet and will not go anywhere", well, if I must say it, it's like your kid telling you this to like earn your trust.

I think there are also Chingish, Inglish, Vinglish......... right ?

Ok, I am going to the toilet only.


Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home