a India Rant and Raves: "UPS" - okay I'm not referring to the courier company

India Rant and Raves

Globetrekker's life in India starting Oct 06 ... a first hand account ...

Saturday, November 11, 2006

"UPS" - okay I'm not referring to the courier company



I'm referring to this, UPS - Uninterruptable Power Supply.

Common to enterprise hardware like banks, servers etc. But not quite that common in the Singapore household 'cos well, I've never really experienced a blackout in Singapore before except for the time I was living in a kampong.

In India, if I get by a day w/o a power blackout, it's my lucky day...... in fact I'm crossing my fingers that as I'm typing this the power doesn't play me out cos... err I'm still charging the unit and not put it into use yet.

Apparently the power grid system can't support the power use throughout Amritsar. So, when say one section of Amritsar consumes too much power, like everyone turns on their washing machine at the same time... ok, sorry I forgot that not everyone owns a washing machine here. Ok, say everyone turns on their lights at the same time or...... aiyah you get the idea, the power station like turns off the power to certain areas in order to provide that power. Makes sense right ? It's like if you got a pipe flowing at 100litres/minute, there's only so many taps you can support. So.... well.... life goes on.... now without any interruption of the power for me from today onwards !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home